On this day May 30 the following things happen;
- 1539 Spanish explorer Hernando De Soto discovers Florida;
- 1959 The Auckland Harbour Bridge in New Zealand is opened;
- 1989 Food riots threaten the stability in Argentina;
- 1846 Peter Carl Faberge is born;
- 1498 Christopher Columbus embarks on his third voyage;
- 1908 Mel Blanc is born;
- 2003 Bob Hopes 100 birthday;
- 1536 King Henry VII of England marries Jane Seymour;
- 1909 Benny Goodman is born;
- 1640 Peter Paul Rubens Died;
- 1744 Alexander Pope died;
- 1788 Voltaire died;1593 Marlowe died in a pub brawl;
On this date May 29 the following things happened in History;
- 1894 Josef Von Sternberg, Austrian film director whose films included The Blue Angel was born;
- 1795 Virginia Assembly opposes Britains Stamp Act;
- 1903 Bob Hope was born;
- 1914 Canadian Pacific liner the Empress of Ireland is wrecked in the St Lawrence river drowning 1000 people;
- 1917 John F Kennedy was born;
- 1972 Presidents Nixon and Brezhnev sign the first arms reduction pact;
- 1979 Abel Muzorewa become the first black prime minister of Rhodesia;
- 1953 The team of Hillary and Tenzing crown Mount Everest the worlds highest peak reaching its peak in 4 days;
- 1989 Boris Yeltsin is elected to the Supreme Soviet;
- 2010 US Actor Dennis Hopper dies;
- 1660 The Monarchy is restored in England with Charles II as king;
- 1453 Constantinople falls to the Turkish Army;
- 1985 Britain’s soccer hooligans went on the rampage at Heysel Stadium in Belgium causing a riot where 41 died;
So, on this day 12th May, the following events in history happened:
- 1969 The minimum voting age in Britain was lowered from 21 to 18
- 1991 The first general election with multiple parties since 1959 happened in Nepal
- 1916 An Irish rebel leader was shot
- 1820 Florence Nightingale was born
- 1935 Alcoholics Anonymous was first formed in Akron Ohio
- 1943 The Axis powers in North Africa surrender
- 2008 The Sichuan Provence suffer a huge earthquake measuring 7.9 on the Richter scale with 87000 people dead
Obviously, we all know the biggest outfit in Uniform is the Armed Forces. This is why I have written a letter to the Acting Secretary for Defense in the US to ask for his help and guidance in what I am doing. I need help to know how and where to send my letters to. People who serve in Uniform deserve our respect and admiration for what they do and this is my way of sharing that.
Every day I will try and post an on this day post. I got a book of cool facts and think I need to share.
So on this day (April 22nd) the following:
- April 22 1500 : Portuguese navigator Pedro Alvarez Cabral discovers Brazil and claimed it for Portugal.
- April 22 1889: Russian born Novelist Vladimir Nabokov was born.
- April 22 1915: German soldiers used gas for the first time on the Western Front
- April 22 1971: The death of Haiti’s hated leader Pappa Doc
- April 22 1983: The £1 note was replaced with a £1 coin
- April 22 1994: Richard Nixon dies
- April 22 1838: The British steamer Sirius became the first steamer to sail between New York and Britain
Tune in tomorrow for the next installment.
Last year during International Day of Persons with Disabilities we had a talk from Genius Within and they talked about the theory of Social Energy.
Basically, it is like the Spoon Theory for Lupus. We all have social energy tanks. Those who are Neuro-Typical have larger tanks than Neuro Diverse people. This is the key thing to know. Now like the spoon theory every action that we do takes away from your social energy tank. The problem is is that when someone who is neurodiverse who has a smaller tank thing gets drained a lot quicker than a neurotypical person.
Unlike the Spoon theory, however, we can refill our tanks. The idea is that if someone who is neuro diverse’s tank dips below 30% then we are likely to be in a meltdown mode. So with your social energy, it is very important to know where you are at and how you refill your tank.
For me, to refill my tank when I am at work, I go to the coffee shop and speak with the staff there. I find the break from work and what is draining my energy is a way to refill. When I goto my coffee shop I can be a little crazy and let out stresses. When I then return to work I find that I have avoided a meltdown. For me when I am in meltdown mode I know that I go very quiet and you can’t talk to me and I won’t talk to anyone. So to avoid this I keep an eye on my energy levels.
The other aspect of this is the fact that you need to find your safe space to do it. I know one person who stands in a closet. Others go and sit on a bench doing nothing but people watch. It is your safe space to find it.
Since learning this theory my team at work and I use it a lot. They ask me what my number is at when I need a break. This helps me focus on my own needs. I think that you all need to work on this to see if it can help you try and avoid your meltdown phases.