It is a well-known fact that woman has to be extra careful when they are traveling alone because any number of things can happen to them as most offenders in crimes such as rape are male perpetrated. Before I get everyone jumping down my throat, I know men are victims of rape as well and it is highly under-reported because of the times, however, men are more likely to fight back against their attackers with a higher probability of winning than a typical woman.
The difference between men and woman can be seen as night and day. I will use my ex as a prime example. My ex is a 6″ something giant with big muscles. When he traveled on his own this would be what he did.
Put on headphones and listen to music and ignore the world.
When he got off the bus to go home he would walk to the gate before he even gets his keys out.
Whereas me, when I am traveling this, is what I do.
- When I leave work I look 360 degrees at all time. I don’t put my headphones in till I am on the tube.
- When I get off the tube I make sure I get the bus when I am able to so that I don’t have to go up any side streets.
- Before I get off the bus my keys are in my hand. This is so that if someone attacks me I have something that can do some damage to hope that I can get away. Also, it means that at the entrance gate to my estate I don’t have to worry about being jumped whilst looking for my keys.
- When walking on the streets if I see any shadows or hear something or see something that makes me concerned I wait for people to pass me or duck into a shop.
- If I am on my own in the flat as soon as I get in I lock the front door.
The difference is night and day. We should not be in a world where this is the way Women have to travel.
With this in mind, anyone in North London please look after yourself with the rapist on the loose. Look after yourself, avoid travelling alone and if that is not possible set up some support network so people know where you are likely to be in the event of an emergency.